Saturday, May 10, 2008

Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks

Mozzarella sticks are one of those things I forgot that I loved so much. In college they were the ultimate treat to get from the dining hall.
I have come up with a suitable wheat-free & gluten-free version, and it's quite easy. It takes a bit of patience when you have to roll the string cheese around in the egg, due to it not being very porous, but it's worth it.
Being an INFJ, I don't use measurements... just eyeball it.
You will need:
brown rice flour
Italian seasoning
mozzarella string cheese
patience
an egg or two
canola oil
organic ketchup (high fructose corn syrup free) or tomato sauce for dipping
In a plate, mix flour and seasonings together.
In another plate, beat the egg(s).
Unwrap your string cheese and coat in egg, then coat in the flour mixture. Place each back in the egg and in the flour again, to coat twice. They just don't pick up enough flour the first time.
Freeze the mozzarella sticks for at least a half an hour.
When you're ready to fry them, heat some canola oil in a frying pan on medium high. Fry both sides for only 45 seconds - 1 minute.
Be sure to only leave them in the pan for 2 minutes, or you will have a cheese explosion on your hands. You'll find yourself with a nice pan full of fried cheese, which is tasty in it's own way, but not really what we're going for here. I did this the first time I made this recipe, I think partially because I didn't freeze them, and partially because I left them too long. I forgot that back in college when I worked in the school cafeteria, when you left someone's mozz sticks for too long, all the cheese pops out and you serve up a lovely crispy mozzarella stick crust with no cheese inside. You quickly learn not to leave in there for too long, because otherwise you find yourself with a grouchy college student on your hands.
Serve with ketchup or tomato sauce and enjoy!

No comments: