Thursday, February 21, 2008

Crunchy Granola

In conversation, my boss often describes people as "crunchy granola" followed by "you'd like them". Apparently, I'm one of them, I guess. Maybe because I eat organic food and weird grains. Or is it my personality? Probably both, and here'a another reason: I love homemade granola.
Pretty much every package of store-bought granola I've looked at is full of sugar, but it's still really yummy without a ton of sweetness. And it is so easy to make. Here's my recipe, which is a hybrid of a couple of recipes that I found.
4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 milled flaxseed (store in the freezer, it will taste a lot better)
2/3 cup cashews
1 cup almonds
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
4 tbsp canola oil
4-6 tbsp maple syrup
Mix it all together in a big bowl (dry first, then liquids), and spread it on a cookie sheet or two. The thinner you spread it, the faster it will cook, so if you're anxious to try it use a couple of cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for around 15-20 minutes or until it feels dry when you run your hands through it. Mix up the granola partway through cooking so it browns evenly. Add dried fruit and and soymilk and you have yourself a healthy and filling breakfast.
I will take being called crunchy granola as a compliment, since that must mean that I'm awesome.

2 comments:

ArmoredCity said...

yay granola
yay blogging friends

Erin said...

your blog always makes me hungry for some odd known reason...